19 And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, 20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:19-21
- It’s Reasonable To Believe That—It is reasonable to believe that a just God would give us a record of His will in a form of a book. If the Bible is not that book, then what book is it?
- Its Amazing Composition and Unity—The Bible has 66 books, written by over 40 different authors, over a period of 1500 years, in 3 different languages, on 3 continents, under vastly different conditions, from all walks of life, and yet it tells one story, it becomes one book!
- Its Amazing Completeness—There is not another book that deals with so many subjects in a simple way. Subjects like angels, Satan, heaven and hell. And the list goes on.
- Its Constant Appeal—There is no other book that appeals to all ages, from all walks of life, in every part of the world throughout history. The Bible becomes a personal book.
- Its Transforming Power—The Bible changes society. It changes lives. There is no other book that can do that and last!
5 More Reasons Why The Bible IS the Word of God
6. ITS FULFILLED PROPHECY
- Predicting the future belongs to God. Man can’t pull back the curtain of time and see what’s going to happen in the future
- The so-called prophets of today have to be 100% correct all the time in order to be considered a true prophet. They can’t have one wrong prediction.
- 25% of the Bible is predictive prophecy. And the Bible with assurance and boldness made those predictions and they have either come true or are in the process of coming true.
- There are many predictions in the Bible that have come true. Like the exact time, Israel would spend in Egypt (Gen. 15:13-4; Acts 7:6-7). Edom would always be a desolate wasteland. (Obadiah 1:10-14). The destruction of Ninevah (Nahum Ch. 1-3).
- The big prophecies are the ones that Jesus fulfilled. There were over 300 prophecies that spoke of His birth, death, and resurrection. On the day Jesus died, He fulfilled over 30 of them. Dr. Peter Stoner, a mathematician says, “The probability of one man fulfilling just 8 of these predictive prophecies is 10 to the 17th power.” (100,000,000,000,000,000.) It would be like asking a man who was blindfolded to bend down and pick up a marked silver dollar among other silver dollars stacked two feet high all across the State of Texas.
7. ITS SCIENTIFIC ACCURACY
- The Bible is not a textbook on science, but rather a plan of redemption for mankind and it reveals God. But since God is the Author, it is accurate anytime it touches on science.
- Evolutionist must admit that creation happened in order found in Genesis.
- In Isaiah 40:22, he said the Earth was round in a time when the popular science believe the Earth was a flat disc riding on the back of a giant elephant running through the universe.
- The Bible says that God created man out of the dust of the Earth. The word for “dust” means in Hebrew “elements.” Scientists have found that in the soil is the same 16 elements that make up the human body. The list goes on and on!
8. ITS PRESERVATION
- There has never been a book that has been singled out for destruction, and yet it has always revived.
- Many attempts have been made to destroy the Bible. For instance, Diocletian, a Roman emperor in 303 AD said, “That Christians were people of the Book, that if we destroy their Book, they would lose their faith.” And he tried but was unsuccessful. His successor, Constantine, made sure that the known world would receive the Word of God.
- A good resource on the evidences of the Bible is God’s Word, and “The New Updated Evidence the Demands a Verdict”, by Josh & Sean McDowell.
9. ITS UNPARALLELED TEACHING
- It’s different than any other book. A book that comes from God should have God’s watermark on it. You should expect it to be different than any other book in the library.
- When you read the Bible, it comforts you, guides you, and speaks to you. Where are you going to find greater literature than Psalms 23? Or a greater dissertation of theology than the Book of Romans?
- The Bible is completely unbiased. It points out the weakness and strengths of friends and enemies alike. And it is consistent in its revelation of God and His interest in mankind.
10. ITS CHRIST-CENTERED
- The Bible is more than a book, it’s a book that tells us about a Man. The Bible and Christ seem to each other. He is always the central theme. In the writings of Moses, He is the central theme. In the writings of David, the Messiah is the central theme. In the Book of Isaiah, the Savior is the central theme.
- Jesus is the “Golden Thread” that runs throughout the Bible. It begins with Him in the Book of Genesis and it ends with Him in the Book of Revelation.
- Remember Jesus’ words in Matthew 25:35, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.”