Why is Church Discipline Important?
- Holds us accountable
- Protects the church’s reputation
- Helps keep us focused on Christ and promotes unity
- The bible tells us so
5 Now if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure—not to put it too severely—to all of you. 6 For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, 7 so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8 So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him. 9 For this is why I wrote, that I might test you and know whether you are obedient in everything. 10 Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, 11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs.
- We must avoid the better than attitude.
- We must avoid growing vindictive and bitter.
- We must avoid Satan’s schemes