5 Indicators of Grace-Giving
- YOUR GIVING IS NOT BOUND TO CIRCUMSTANCES.
“We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia, 2 for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part.” 2 Cor. 8:1-2 (ESV)
Tabernacle: Exodus 35:4-29
Temple: 1 Chronicles 29:1-9
- YOUR EAGERNESS TO GIVE IS EXCITING TO YOU.
3 “For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord, 4 begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints…” 2 Cor. 8:3-4 (ESV)
- YOUR GIVING HAS THE HEART OF CHRIST IN IT.
5 “…and this, not as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us. 6 Accordingly, we urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this act of grace. 7 But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you—see that you excel in this act of grace also. 8 I say this not as a command, but to prove by the earnestness of others that your love also is genuine. 9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.” 2 Cor. 8:5-9 (ESV)
- YOUR GIVING HAS MOVED FROM “HALF-TO” TO “WANT-TO”.
“10 And in this matter I give my judgment: this benefits you, who a year ago started not only to do this work but also to desire to do it. 11 So now finish doing it as well, so that your readiness in desiring it may be matched by your completing it out of what you have. 12 For if the readiness is there, it is acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what he does not have.” 2 Cor. 8:10-12 (ESV)
- YOUR GIVING IS FAIR.
13 “For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness 14 your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness. 15 As it is written, “Whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack.” 2 Cor. 8:13-15 (ESV)
- What circumstances in your life determines whether you give or not?
- What areas of your giving is exciting for you?
- Is your giving a heart of reluctance or a heart of Christ?
- When you are presented with a need, do you find yourself “wanting” to give to the need or feel you “have-to” give to the need?
- Where can your giving improve for the glory of God?