The Realities of Marriage Recap:
- The character of your life/marriage is forged in the thousand little moments of faith in God’s grace…NOT the big moments.
- Marriage is hard for EVERYONE…EVERYWHERE! We’ve ALL been disappointed.
- The Gospel (Good News) only works if you accept the BAD NEWS. The DNA of SIN is SELFISHNESS. The biggest problem is NOT your marriage or your spouse…IT’S YOU!
- Dating in most cases is an illusion of the real person.
- We mistake attraction for love…ATTRACTION IS NOT LOVE!
- We take our cues from the world’s definition of marriage instead of the Biblical definition of marriage.
- The whole Bible is our source for a healthy marriage…NOT just the marriage passages.
- ROMANCE is NOT the cause of a good marriage; true ROMANCE is the result of a good marriage.
- Your marriage needs to live in the Kingdom of God in Christ. 2 Peter 1:3-10. You have ALL you need.
- Your marriage needs to have 3 mindsets: Reaping, Value and Grace.
- Marriage is built on TRUST! You can’t have a good marriage without TRUST!
- You must walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.
- The primary purpose of marriage is not happiness…it’s holiness.
- Your marriage is STUCK because you have a law-based marriage instead of a grace-based marriage.
- Cycle: Expectations lead to failure that lead to punishment.
- Grace is able to do what the law was never able to do.
- Marriage problems are not a behavioral problem…it’s a HEART problem.
- Your HEART is the steering wheel of your life.
- Grace NEVER makes wrong right…Grace is way of dealing with wrong.
- 2 Character qualities you need to learn:
–You need to be humble enough to be confronted with the TRUTH.
–You need to have the courage to speak the TRUTH in LOVE.
- We ALL have areas of sin in our lives we CANNOT SEE! We need grace of God to help us see, grieve, confess and repent of our hidden sins.
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.
7 You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion is not from him who calls you. 9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump. 10 I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view, and the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. 11 But if I, brothers, still preach circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed. 12 I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!
13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another. Galatians 5:1-15
- YOU NEED TO LEARN TO TELL YOURSELF “NO!” (vs. 13)
- YOU NEED TO PUT GOD ON THE THRONE OF YOUR HEART. (vs. 14)
- Your marriages are fixed when we seek God rather than self.
- We need to repent to God when we try to fix our marriages ourselves or through others instead of seeking Him for help.
- God is not satisfied with your:
- Biblical knowledge
- Title or ministry
- CARE Group
- HE WANTS YOUR HEART!!!!
How Do We Serve Each Other In Love?
“Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.” 1 John 4:7-12 (ESV)
Definition of Love: Love is willing to deny self and sacrifice for the benefit of others, with no strings attached, even if they don’t deserve it.
- Love is willing to deny self…
“If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?” Luke 9:23-25 (ESV)
- …and sacrifice for the benefits of others…
“By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.” 1 John 3:16 (ESV)
Hopelessness is the doorway to HOPE!
- …with no strings attached…
“But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.” Luke 6:35 (ESV)
- …even if they don’t deserve it.
“But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” Acts 20:24 (ESV)
“God please help me break the cycle of law in my life and start living the Good News of your amazing GRACE!”