When I say teenager, what comes to mind?
- Take personal responsibility to raise your teenagers in the Lord…don’t delegate.
“And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.” Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (ESV)
- Understand the cultural challenges and temptations your teenager face in 2022 NOT just what you faced when you were a teen. CELL PHONES!
- STOP and remember what you were like as a teen and how hard it was for you to transition into adulthood. Empathize don’t Criticize.
- Seek ways to have important conversations with your teens in the following areas:
- The “Prodigal Son Syndrome”. Believing they are missing out on the “Good Life.” (Luke 15:11-24)
- Helping them understand the consequences of their BAD decisions.
“Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.” Galatians 6:7-8 (ESV )
- The impact of being around the WRONG friends.
“Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” 1 Corinthians 15:33 (ESV)
- The HUGE struggle with SEXUAL temptation.
“So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.” 2 Timothy 2:22-23 (ESV)
- The failure to see their life with the END in mind.
For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living. 10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” 12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Romans 14:7-12 (ESV)
- Remember: Our hearts are “IDOL FACTORIES” and we need to not only help our children see their hearts, but ours as well. Be humble and authentic.
“The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” Luke 6:45 (ESV)
“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” Proverbs 4:23 (NIV84)
FIGHT FOR YOUR CHILDREN WITH GRACE, TRUTH AND LOVE!