- Written by Paul to Titus is traveling companion around 66-67 A.D. Around the time Paul wrote 1 Timothy.
- To go to an Island of the Coast of Greece named Crete.
- The island was filled with people who were known to be liars, evil beasts and lazy gluttons.
- Paul started some house churches and Titus was to finish what was left undone and Appoint godly Elders and to confront false teaching.
- As a result of this false teaching and corrupt leaders, the Christians in the house churches were drifting back into the Cretan way of life. Their homes were a wreck!!!!
- Therefore, Paul is commissioning Titus not only to restore sound doctrine, but to help restore the Kingdom Family of God!
- THE OLDER CHRISTIAN LIFESTYLE (VSS. 1-4a)
“But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good…”
- THE YOUNGER CHRISTIAN LIFESTYLE (VVS. 4b-8)
4 “and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. 6 Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. 7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.”
- THE BONDSERVANTS WORK ETHIC (VSS. 9-10)
9 “Bondservants are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, 10 not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.”
- THE GRACE THAT CREATES HEALTH (VSS. 11-15)
- GRACE REDEEMS US (VSS. 11, 14a)
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people…14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness…”
- GRACE RESTORES US (VSS. 12, 14b)
12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age… and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.”
- GRACE REWARDS US (VSS. 13)
13waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ…15 Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.
LIVE IT OUT!
- As an older believer, how does your life measure up to the standard of living Paul encourages Titus to teach?
- As an younger believer, where do you need help by an older believer? Will you seek to ask someone to help you?
- Who can you disciple right now in to bring strength to the Kingdom Family?