“If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the Church today, ninety-five percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference. If the Holy Spirit had withdrawn from the New Testament Church, ninety percent of what they did would stop and everybody would know.”—A.W. Tozer
QUESTION: If the Holy Spirit was to leave…would you even notice?
“The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”[ John 3:8
“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you.” John 14:16-17
- Our tendency is to think of the Holy Spirit as a what rather than a who
- We speak of the Holy Spirit as an it rather than He.
- We relate to the Holy Spirit as a force rather than a friend.
- The Holy Spirit can be Lied
Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Acts 5:3
Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.” Acts 5:4
- We Pretend to be more spiritual than we are.
- The Holy Spirit can be Grieved.
“And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” Ephesians 4:30
- The Holy Spirit can be your Friend.
“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.” John 14:16
THIS WEEKS FAITH CHALLENGE
- I will commit to pray this week, “Holy Spirit, I want to know you personally. I welcome you into my life and I want you to be my closest friend.”